Joanne was a tireless advocate for the individuals at Lifetime Assistance. The outstanding medical, nursing services, and supports our individuals receive today are a direct result of Joanne’s efforts in promoting quality health care for people with intellectual and developmental disabilities.
This year’s recipient I think really embodies the spirit of Joanne Mills in regards to how dedicated she is to advocating for the people she supports…
There were several nominations by coworkers and individuals that wanted to let others know not just what an amazing nurse she is, but what an amazing person she is as well.
These are a few of the words and phrases they used to describe her:
Positive, supportive, patient, available, that she is “happy inside”…
“She provides training and education in a manner that makes the whole environment successful… she is truly inspiring and we are lucky to have her as our nurse.”
Another person wrote:
“When I feel like my heart is beating fast because I am upset, she always makes me feel better.”
One last thing I’d like to share with all of you before we announce the winner…
A few months back, I asked this nurse what she thought we did best as an agency in regards to the people we care for and she had a really beautiful answer that really struck me and I think this statement speaks to her character….
- We are able to figure out what a person needs, even though they can’t accurately tell us.
- We keep listening until we have figured it out.
- We trust what they are telling us and treat them respectfully while we try to figure out what is wrong.
- We support them to have a full, productive life to the best of their ability- despite their medical needs.
- We don’t think of the person as having medical issues first, we think of them as people first.